Re: [lvs-users] Large clusters and slow realserver checking

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Large clusters and slow realserver checking
From: Jay Faulkner <jay.faulkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:08:22 -0500

Anthony,

We have a similar use case, and for us, we don't use ldirectord. We run
keepalived with the threaded healthcheckers patch. Basically, this allows us to
define checks outside of virtual_server definitions -- so we say "server1
healthcheck http://blah"; "server2 healthcheck http://blah2"; and so on -- then
we point each V_S to the already defined healthcheck.

Using this setup, we're transferring 1Gbit/s peak with about 2000 V_S and about
5 backend servers hosting all the IP addresses (10k healthchecks if done
traditionally).

If you're interested in this, look in the keepalived list archives and pull the
threaded healthcheck patch I posted. There are some good docs inside that, and
I'm willing to help if you need a hand figuring out the config.

Jason Faulkner
Linux Engineer, Rackspace Email & Apps
jason.faulkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx