[lvs-users] Understanding lb_algo and weighting.

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] Understanding lb_algo and weighting.
From: "Leon Pinkney" <leon.pinkney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:08:41 +0100
Hi,

We are looking into ways to use LVS to better our current techniques.

I want to load balance http proxy across 3 boxes.  Users point at one of
those 3 boxes.

ipvsadm -l

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags

  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn

TCP  10.10.10.51:webcache sh

  -> 172.16.254.1:webcache        Local   4      237        1669

  -> 172.16.254.2:webcache        Masq    10     246        1520

  -> 172.16.254.3:webcache        Masq    10     172        1675

Now my understanding was that sh would ensure each IP would always end
up with all of it's requests going to one machine.

I expected the weighting would split each IP across the boxes, giving
the first box less work to do.

Clearly my understanding appears to be wrong since the first box has the
most connections, when I would expect it to have less than half of the
other two.  Can someone enlighten me ?

Is there a better way to achieve this ?

Thanks,

Leon