Re: [lvs-users] Load Balancer Not Listening on Specified Ports

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Load Balancer Not Listening on Specified Ports
From: mojorising <moj0rising@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:18:54 -0700
Graeme,

Thanks a lot for your response. It helps me understand a bit more
about how LVS works.

So, as I mentioned in my first post, "The web servers are up and
running. I can download web pages successfully from them from my
desktop as well as directly from the
load balancer with netcat or similar." I just checked again and I can
download web pages from the real servers on port 80 with netcat or
telnet from the LVS machine. So we're all good there. Now I'm
wondering why nanny might have issues talking to the real servers on
80.

As for the bits about the configuration, yes. You are right. I just
verified the IP addresses in the configuration and the ones I am
testing with via netcat and telnet are the same.

I think the below items you mentioned are particularly beneficial for
me to understand how things work and what might be the matter:

> LVS doesn't listen. It's a router, not an application, so it has no
> "open ports" in the sense that a TCP listener would.

> nanny is a "client" application - it doesn't listen. The processes you
> saw were probably waiting for responses from your realservers.

With respect to the former, if nothing is listening on the load
balancer, maybe I am trying to use it the wrong way. On other load
balancers I have used, such as pen or BigIP, the load balancer is
actually listening and waiting for TCP connections, which it then
forwards on to the "balanced" nodes (real servers) on specified ports.
Basically, as far as PCs browsing the balanced sites know, that load
balancer *is* the web server. Does that make sense? So when I go to
test those load balancers to see if they work, I check to make sure
they are listening on the approriate port and try to connect to them
in the same way I would connect to a real server directly. Am I
supposed to be doing things differently with LVS?

Thanks again,

Mike