Re: [lvs-users] LVS vs commercial LB in critical environment

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS vs commercial LB in critical environment
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:55:51 +0000
2009/11/20 Siim Põder <siim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi
>
> I have a bit of a religious question: is LVS good enough to use in......

Siim,

Here at Loadbalancer.org we have several hundred customers using our
appliance which is based on LVS.

We have NEVER repeat NEVER had ANY issues with LVS, our customers include
large telecoms sites, massive advertising sites,
financial trading platforms, satellite communications et al.

Barracuda, Kemp and CAI WebMux also use LVS.

F5 & Coyote Point are FreeBSD based (F5 used to boot and install from a
FreeBSD OS on any PC hardware).

Try turning the question around, how likely is a commercial vendor to admit
that their is a bug/problem in their system?
How long will a commercial vendor take to fix said problem? Will they let
you see the code?
OpenSource systems are solid by design.

High availability comes down to design, planning , documentation &
implementation rather than what hardware vendor you use.

Having said all that F5, Citrix and CISCO are excellent systems and if you
can afford the cost and have the skills to run them then why not.....

--
Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Ltd.