Re: [lvs-users] LVS vs commercial LB in critical environment

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS vs commercial LB in critical environment
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:49:38 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Siim Põder wrote:

Basically, they are saying that everyone else is using commercial tools and therefore we should, too.

this is impossible to counter as there is no data in this argument. The managers are saying that they're not going to use technical considerations in the decision, but unmeasurable fear. If you accept this as the basis for a discussion, then you'll loose. I work in this sort of environment and have lost every time I'm afraid and have had to deal with crap software from vendors. The managers are insulated from the folly of their decisions and the results (not having to deal with or see any problems) have justified their decisions.

The approach I would take is to present the number of machines/packets you've processed and tell them the problems (time lost) you've had. Ask them for numbers from actual installations of the proprosed software/hardware (not the marketing from the vendor).