[lvs-users] LVS-DR and scp

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS-DR and scp
From: Scooter Morris <scooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:02:47 -0800
Hi all,
I have a two-node LVS configuration that I'm using as a front-end to a three-node cluster. It works really well for ssh, http, https, etc. But, when a user tries to use scp to copy a large file or directory to the cluster, it commonly stalls and doesn't complete. scp directly to any node of the cluster works fine, either from outside the network or from inside it. Things only crawl when using scp to go through the redirectors. Here are the relevant parts of the configuration file:

service = lvs
primary = xxx.xxx.xxx.30
backup = xxx.xxx.xxx.2
backup_active = 1
heartbeat = 1
heartbeat_port = 539
keepalive = 12
deadtime = 4
debug_level = NONE
network = direct
virtual plato-ssh {
     active = 1
     address = xxx.xxx.xxx.29 eth0:1
     vip_nmask = 255.255.255.0
     port = 22
     expect = "SSH-2.0"
     send = "SSH-2.0-Probe"
     use_regex = 0
     load_monitor = rup
     scheduler = wlc
     protocol = tcp
     timeout = 60
     reentry = 60
     quiesce_server = 0
     persistent = 600
     server node1 {
         address = xxx.xxx.xxx.36
         active = 1
         weight = 20
     }
     server node2 {
         address = xxx.xxx.xxx.34
         active = 1
         weight = 20
     }
     server node3 {
         address = xxx.xxx.xxx.32
         active = 1
         weight = 1
     }
}

This is with kernel version 2.6.18-164.2.1.el5 and I'm running piranha version 0.8.4-11.el5. Has anyone seen anything like this before or have any ideas what I can do to try to debug it?

Thanks!

-- scooter