[lvs-users] two box lvs with keepalived: the backup gets horrible slow

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] two box lvs with keepalived: the backup gets horrible slow
From: Harald Dunkel <harald.dunkel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:17:15 +0100
Hi folks,

I am trying to setup a two box lvs as described in section
9.3 of the howto (the version with a single nic and 2 marks).
For testing I have setup a telnet service.

The first telnet session picks up the master, the second
telnet is sent to the backup, as expected. Problem: If the
telnet session to the backup is terminated, then the backup
gets horrible slow. The master is as fast as usual (as it
seems).

I got the same problem for using Apache, so I would assume
that telnet is innocent.

Attached you can find the keepalived.conf files and the
script to run iptables. Here is the usual data

VIP=172.19.96.33
RIP1=172.19.96.19       ("node08")
RIP2=172.19.96.21       ("node09")
MAC1=00:30:48:9b:42:c2
MAC2=00:30:48:99:b8:72

sysctl.conf says

        net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_announce = 2
        net.ipv4.conf.eth1.arp_announce = 2
        net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce  = 2
        net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_ignore   = 1
        net.ipv4.conf.eth1.arp_ignore   = 1
        net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore    = 1

There _is_ a second interface, but this is supposed to be
the connection to the database server only.

Any helpful comment would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Harri