Re: [lvs-users] question about load balancing smtp

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] question about load balancing smtp
From: Bruce Richardson <itsbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:49:13 +0100
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 08:03:54PM +0200, Michiel van Es wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to load balance smtp with LVS because I heard that LVS is capable
> of showing the source ip to the real servers.
> Is that correct?

Just out of curiosity, why are you load balancing SMTP at all?  In my
experience, the number of circumstances that absolutely require SMTP
load balancing/clustering are very rare, given that the protocol has
fault tolerance and failover built into it.  In fact, load-balancing
SMTP hosts can actually cause slower deliveries and unpredictable
behaviour, because it can conflict with the protocol's own resilience
features.

Even where it is needed, I'd prefer smtp proxies over LVS.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.