[lvs-users] Load-balancing requests to JBoss

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Load-balancing requests to JBoss
From: "Alan O'Ceallaigh" <alan.oceallaigh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:09:54 +0100
Hi all,

I'm new to the list and to LVS.

I'm attempting to configure an LVS director to load balance instances of
JBoss in the following configuration:

For a service that we provide, there are a total of two to four JBoss nodes
per customer.  We have webservers which are accessible to the customer,
which need to communicate with the JBoss nodes via the load balancer which
will use the Weighted Round-Robin algorithm to distribute load.  Session
persistence will be 1500 seconds as at this stage the application does not
share it's state across nodes, and there is a login timeout of 1500 seconds.

My issue is that when configuring LVS to load balance the JBoss instances, I
do not know what string it is appropriate to send, what protocol I should
use, and what I should expect in return.  Several hours of Googling and
consultation with our development team have failed to turn up any likely
candidates.  I would like to avoid changing the JBoss configuration if
possible, though if this is the only way to achieve the result, then I am
prepared to look at whatever options are available.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards,

Alan