[lvs-users] health checking on realservers

To: lvs <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] health checking on realservers
From: John Lash <john.k.lash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:29:17 -0500
I'm trying to check the availability of a service on a pool of direct-routed
real-servers behind an LVS director. The service only listens on the VIP (not
on any of the RIPs on the servers).

My problem is that since the real-servers only listen on the VIP attached to
the loopback device, I have no way to address them to make sure that the
service is usable from any location off of the real-servers themselves.

I've tested my configuration with another service, telnetd, that binds to all
interfaces and there's no problem with the health checks and aside from this
the cluster config works very well. I've set it up manually and with keepalived
and as long as I use a server that binds to an externally addressable
interface, it works just fine.

Is there a way to health-check this service within the LVS framework? I haven't
been able to find any information about it out on the web. The best solution
that I've thought of to this point is to use ssh (or similar) to run a command
locally on each server to do a health-check.

--john