[lvs-users] LVS as the key for cloud-computing adoption by enterprises?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS as the key for cloud-computing adoption by enterprises?
From: Pablo Osinaga <pablo.osinaga@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 03:50:42 -0400
Hello,

I'd like to get comments/thoughts on possibility of using LVS as a key
enabler for cloud-computing adoption by enterprises.

Consider the following scenario:

CORP NETWORK---
             +- Active Directory
             +- File Share 1
             +- MySQL Server
             +- MS SQL Server
             +- (etc, you get the idea)
             +
             +- Pablo's server (LVS)
                   + (OpenVPN network)
                   +- Amazon EC2 Server 1
                   +- Amazon EC2 Server 2
                   +- ...
                   +- Amazon EC2 Server 1,000

What I am trying to do is have the EC2 Servers access the CORP NETWORK
servers while making them think that it is actually Pablo's server the one
that is contacting them.

In a way, this is the same as the traditional LVS pattern, but reveresed
(i.e., the ones that "request" are all the clustered servers hidden behind
just one).

While I am interested in this due to a particular need, I believe that LVS
used in this way could play a HUGE role in cloud computing adoption by
enterprises, as you can deploy "Pablo server" as a lightweight, super simple
to install virtual image that enables a hughly elastic infrastructure hosted
in the cloud that to access your data center in a secure and robust way.

Is LVS being used in this way?  Do the experts here see that LVS could be
used in this way?  I am completelly new to LVS and I'd love to start a
dialog on this - if this is something that you think could be interesting.
Many thanks,

Pablo Osinaga