Re: [lvs-users] High Traffic IMAP deployment

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] High Traffic IMAP deployment
From: David Lang <david.lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:24:35 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> thus David Lang spake:
>> I missed the beginning of this thread
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:

>>> thus Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa spake:

>>> Dovecot is one of the best performing (if not *the* best performing)
>>> pop/imap servers out there. Just use the search egine you like for
>>> benchmark comparisons, and you'll get a bunch of results that will show
>>> this, on different OSes (may it be GNU/Linux, xBSD, or whatever).
>>
>> take a look at Cyrus, it is _very_ scalable, and includes replication and
>> clustering capabilities. It's routinely used by universities and other larger
>> organizations.
>
> Cyrus is a nice player in the field (still run it myself on some hosts),
> but it has some major drawbacks:
>
> - - proprietary mail storage mechanism (compared to MailDir/mbox et al.)

three things here

1. Cyrus is open source and everything is documented, this is not normally what
'proprietary' is used to mean. it does have a different on-disk format than
MailDir or mbox

2. if you are accessing it via IMAP/POP, why should you care what mechanism it
uses?

3. the storage mechanism is very similar to MailDir (one file per message,
folders are directories on the filesystem, etc) and mostly differs in how the
metadata is handled. I frequently write scripts to analyse/parse e-mail in an
archive folder so while it's 'proprietary', it's fully documented

> - - slower than Dovecot, e.g.

I can't speak to this, but does Dovecot implement the clustering and
replication
features that Cyrus does that lets it scale across many machines?

> - - compared to other pop/imap servers, it does not implement RFCs as good
> as others (Dovecot is very good here, too)

I would be interested in hearing where Cyrus is behind, this is the first time
I've heard this and I've been considering Cyrus as one of the best IMAP
implementations available.

I'll also point out that fastmail.fm, which is a major 'cloud' mail provider
(even though they've been in business longer than the term has existed) uses
Cyrus and is active in it's development.

David Lang