Re: [lvs-users] High Traffic IMAP deployment

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] High Traffic IMAP deployment
From: Tracy Reed <treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:30:48 -0700
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:09:54AM -0430, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa spake
thusly:
> I think they are pretty much the same, maybe, dovecot a little faster

Count me as another vote for dovecot. It works great.

> Nothing new, except, maybe, the replication thing, Cyrus suggest the
> use of Perdition (which can be very problematic, specially with
> SSL/TLS related issues).

Around 2000 I migrated a large (for the time) corporate mail server
from wu-imap/mbox to courier (if I recall correctly)/Maildir. It was
not possible to convert all of the mailboxes at once due to the large
amount of time it would have taken (and also because a desktop config
setting was needed due to how broken Outlook was with IMAP
namespaces). So I ended up running both IMAP servers at once on
unusual port numbers with perdition running on the normal IMAP
port. Then as each user's mail store was converted I would add them to
the perdition config and perdition would route them to the appropriate
IMAP server. It worked great.

Ever since then I have always said that if I ever needed to really
scale up IMAP serving across a number of machines I would front it
with perdition.

> Furthermore, Dovecot has this:
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy
>
> Which replaces perdition.

Oooh...neat! I'll have to remember to give this a try if I ever have
to scale up IMAP.

In other news, I am on the verge of un-recommending anyone use
RedHat's Piranha setup. Its behavior is just inexplicable
sometimes. And the GUI let me accidentally create invalid
configurations. I may well replace my current Piranha based load
balancer setup with a more standard lvs/ldirectord type setup.

--
Tracy Reed
http://tracyreed.org