Re: [lvs-users] High Traffic IMAP deployment

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] High Traffic IMAP deployment
From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 09:22:46 -0430
Hi!

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 08:45:00PM -0430, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Tracy Reed <treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:09:54AM -0430, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
>> > spake thusly:
>> >
>> > Count me as another vote for dovecot. It works great.

>> > Around 2000 I migrated a large (for the time) corporate mail server
>> > from wu-imap/mbox to courier (if I recall correctly)/Maildir. It was
>> > not possible to convert all of the mailboxes at once due to the large
>> > amount of time it would have taken (and also because a desktop config
>> > setting was needed due to how broken Outlook was with IMAP
>> > namespaces). So I ended up running both IMAP servers at once on
>> > unusual port numbers with perdition running on the normal IMAP
>> > port. Then as each user's mail store was converted I would add them to
>> > the perdition config and perdition would route them to the appropriate
>> > IMAP server. It worked great.
>>
>> Yes, perdition *does* work, but it only support LDAPv2, I had to
>> modify the LDAP server configuration.
>
> I don't believe that is true unless you are compiling against
> a particularly old version of openldap.

Yeah, off course, I would compile perdition with an OLD version of
ldap, that doesn't support LDAPv3, AND my LDAP server was running
LDAPv3.... that's so logical.....

I used it back on Jun 2009, unless something has changed since then:
perdition doesn't support LDAPv2 (which is no big deal if you run a
local ldap server, and connect perdition to 127.0.0.1, which is
exactly what I did back then).  Looking at release pages, it looks
like perdition have some new versions, maybe I should give them a try.