[lvs-users] sudden increase of ActiveConn

Subject: [lvs-users] sudden increase of ActiveConn
From: "L.S. Keijser" <leon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:40:34 +0200
Hi,

First of all let me say that this is a very vague and probably
LVS-unrelated problem. I'm posting it anyway in the hope other people
have run into this problem before and know the solution.

We recently switched from an LVS setup using Shorewall for firewall
rules management, to a setup using plain iptables. It's an LVS-NAT setup
and the realservers that are behind the director are webservers. The
only thing changed on the rs's is the default gateway which now points
to the new director.

What we notice is that there's suddenly an increase of ActiveConn.
Before the switch it was around 400 at peak hours. Now it's close to
1400. If we point the rs's back to the old setup, the problem is gone.

The old director is running CentOS 5.3 with kernel
2.6.18-128.1.14.el5xen
The new director is running CentOS 5.5 with kernel 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5xen

Any tips would be most welcome.

kind regards,

Léon