Re: [lvs-users] LVS / RHEL 5.3 / iptables problem

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS / RHEL 5.3 / iptables problem
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:17:24 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, devin wrote:

However sometimes we have clients who send us crazy amounts of traffic

:-(

and we end up having to block the traffic at the load balancer/keepalived server using IPTABLES. We basically configure IPTABLES to send a TCP RESET packet back to the user's browser so that the browser will give up trying to connect to our cluster.

This is the command we run on Linux to do the block.

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -m string --string "sid=3225" --algo bm --to 65535 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

So I know sometimes this messes with the ActiveConn count, and I am not sure if this is affecting LVS in any way as we have to sometimes block a user for an entire day. So the problem I notice with this is that the “Activeconn” count just keeps building up as we are rejecting the traffic for a while but does seem to cap off at 32,000 connections per server right now.

You should be able to block these packets before ipvs() sees them. What if you use PREROUTING as the chain?

Look at the diagram here

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.filter_rules.html#path_of_an_ip_vs_packet

There's no INPUT in this diagram. However this (cough) simplified diagram has INPUT

http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2.9/ip/flow.php

here's a better diagram

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch14_:_Linux_Firewalls_Using_iptables