[lvs-users] is it possible to have ldirector and real cluster server on

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] is it possible to have ldirector and real cluster server on same physical machine?
From: Mrvka Andreas <mrv@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:31:19 +0100
Hello list,

I hope you can help me.
I am using a simple 2 node cluster environment on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
11 SP1 HAE.

I only use ldiretord/ipvs and an apache service on both machines.
My virtual IP address on interface lo:0 and real cluster IP on eth0.

Regarding to the documentation of Novell it should be possible to have
ldirectord etc. on the same machines.
Do you agree?

I ask because if I do a tcpdump I see lots of traffic from the client browser
to the server (http port) and the tcp
session will never end. ( client side has finished the transfer but on the
server side tcpdump runs and runs....)

My config on both machines:
#cat ldirector.cf
autoreload = yes
checkinterval = 10
checktimeout = 3
logfile = "/var/log/ldirectord.log"
quiescent = yes
virtual = 10.10.11.60:80
        fallback=127.0.0.1:80
        real=10.10.11.61:80 gate
        real=10.10.11.62:80 gate
        service=http
        request="test.html"
        receive="Still alive"
        scheduler=wlc
        protocol=tcp
        checktype=negotiate
network/ifcfg-lo:
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
IPADDR_2=127.0.0.2/8
STARTMODE=onboot
USERCONTROL=no
FIREWALL=no
IPADDR_0=10.10.11.60       #VIP
NETMASK_0=255.255.255.255
NETWORK_0=10.10.11.0
BROADCAST_0=10.10.11.255
LABEL_0=0

# ipvsadm -L -n
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  10.10.11.60:80 wlc
  -> 10.10.11.61:80               Local   1      0          0
  -> 10.10.11.62:80               Route   1      0          177

Interesstingly on the other node it says # ipvsadm -L -n
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  10.10.11.60:80 wlc
  -> 10.10.11.61:80               Route   1      0          177
  -> 10.10.11.62:80               Local   1      0          0

So exactly the InActConn value is the same but the real IP addresses are
changed.
I believe ldirectord shapes my requests endlessly.

After reading some documentation regarding to ARP announcements I configured
the following in sysctl and did a reboot.
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_announce = 2
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

In /var/log/ldirectord.log is nothing logged which is an error. Even if I start
ldirectord in debug mode - no error.

Do anybody can explain me this story?

Thank you very much.

Best regards