Re: [lvs-users] information and documentation

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] information and documentation
From: Tom van Leeuwen <tom.van.leeuwen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:17:53 +0200
Hi Emilio,

It is the easiest way to let LVS be the gateway, but it is not necessary.
Me and a colleague are currently working on a setup that uses policy
routing on the main router and having the lvs router separate. Like this:

         client

lvs --- router

        realserver

It works, but you will have to be able to send the return traffic from
the realserver to LVS when you use LVS with destination translation.
Otherwise it doesn't get untranslated and the client will not understand
the reply from the realserver.

This is what you have in your first setup where client and realserver
are in the same subnet.
The realserver will send the reply straight to the client. If you are
using NAT and the reply from the realserver does not go through LVS:
this will not work.

The second setup may not work because again the return traffic from the
real does not get untranslated by the LVS router.

I hope this helps you.

With kind regards,
Tom van Leeuwen