Re: [lvs-users] LVS-Tun to an LVS-Masq ?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-Tun to an LVS-Masq ?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 17:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Dave Porter wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm sure someone has run into this before, but I couldn't
> find anything searching.

well no. You might be the first.

(I haven't looked at the other poster's reply. He might have
already solved the problem.)

> Global Loadbalancer GVIP --> Regional LoadBalancer RVIP --> Real Servers RIP
>
> 10.116.3.10      -->       10.116.4.11     -->     192.168.1.1
>
> I'm using LVS-Tun (ipip)  from the Global to the
> Regionals, then the Regionals run masquarading to the Real
> Servers.
.
.
> In other words, the regional load balancer listens on
> 10.116.4.11:80 (and needs to for the health checks to work
> from the global), but packets arrive from the global with
> destination 10.116.3.11:80

which is how LVS-DR and LVS-Tun are supposed to work.

> - these are ignored by the regional as there is no
> 'application' listening there.

As far as the GLB is concerned, the RLB is a realserver
listening on the GVIP. You need two things on the RLB

o a set of ipvsadm rules accepting packets to the GVIP and
sending them by LVS-NAT to 192.168.1.x

o something on the RLB that will accept a packet to the
GVIP. This is going to require a little trickery, but
nothing too fiendish. The state of the art as it was a
couple of years ago is here

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.routing_to_VIP-less_director.html

>From memory, probably the simplest is to put the GVIP on a
(any) device (lo, dummy, some ethX) on the RLB. Since the
location of the RLB will not be receiving advertisements for
the GVIP (they'll only be sent to the location of the GLB),
then you won't have to handle the ARP problem at the RLB.

> I can solve the issue by tunnelling the GVIP:port
> combination to the RVIP:port within the Regional box
> itself, but this seems a bit of a messy solution?

I'm not sure what you want to do here, but it sounds like
you'll be bypassing the load balancing of the GLB.