Re: [lvs-users] WLC Slow start for 2.6.x kernel

To: "'Krzysztof Wilczynski'" <krzysztof.wilczynski@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] WLC Slow start for 2.6.x kernel
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 'Simon Horman' <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Aleksey Chudov" <aleksey.chudov@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 10:48:13 +0300
Hello,

>> Thank you for great work.

> You are very welcome! :)

>> We have few heavy loaded LVS system with a lot of connections.

> Sounds nice, but please treat this as experimental feature and therefore be
> careful if your systems are mission critical,
> and your production environment cannot run into an inconvenience at any time.
> I would want to avoid breaking your infrastructure if possible :-)

I'll plan to install patched Kernel on backup LVS node and perform tests by
directing traffic thru the slave node during night hours.

>> I'll test patch as soon as possible.

>Amazing! Thank you in advance ;-)

Could you please explain how exactly slow start mechanism works?
Is there any configuration for slow start period of time, limit for maximum
connections or/and connection rate?

For example, by now we are using the following shell script to bring up failed
real servers:
i=1; while [ $i -le 100 ]; do ipvsadm -e -t <VIP>:http -r <RS>:http -i -w $i;
echo "$(date +"%F %T") Weight set to $i"; sleep 10; ((i++)); done

It is not the best solution because depending of servers load sleep interval
must be changed.
So limiting maximum connections or/and connection rate sounds more convenient.

Best regards,
Aleksey