Re: [lvs-users] localnode question

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] localnode question
From: Dean Scothern <dean.scothern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:20:21 +0000
An update  to my earlier reply

The bypassing of the localnode behaviour (admittedly done by specifying a
different port ) was done in a Patch
By Simon Horman in the archive for this list.

http://archive.linuxvirtualserver.org/html/lvs-users/2005-06/msg00113.html

This was a some time ago.

Simon do you have a more up to date version of this patch, that I could apply
to the kernel in say Centos 6?

Many Thanks

Dino

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2011, Joseph Mack wrote:
>
> you have to turn local node on. It's not on by default.

This statement confuses me because if I refer to a ip on the local node and
then run ipvsadm I always get something like:

IP Virtual Server version 1.2.1 (size=4096) Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler
Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  vip-eml-302 rr
  -> 172.16.3.11:smtp             Masq    1      0          0
  -> 172.16.3.12:smtp             Local   1      0          0

172.16.3.12 is a ip on the local node and always seems to get flagged as Local.
So how do I avoid local node if the masq ip is on the local node?

> > The documentation (old) says that lvs loading is quite low
>
> I have no idea what low loading is

The references that I can find don't qualify low loading either, but I would
assume that 10% resource consumption due to lvs and the rest remaining for
applications would be a reasonable assumption. If I can get it to work I would
be happy to share the performance data with the list (as long as I can get
permission from my employer).   Modern machines are much more power these days.
It seems a bit wasteful to use a pair of hp dl360 g7s for a little lvs
for two mail servers that do less than 100k mail messages a day.

> > When I was asking about alternatives I was wondering If other
> > loadbalancing systems apart from lvs were available for Linux.
>
> don't know. Try google

I already have, I don't normally use lists, only when I've exhausted other
avenues.

> much better. However I don't understand what the 2ndary network is for
> and why is has the same IPs as the primary network
Ok the RIPs are all different (I sort of assumed that would be taken as given)
We have 2 VIPs on the Primary network and another two on the secondary.
VIP1 and VIP1s are taken as a pair as are VIP2 and VIP2s.

           client

     Primary Network
    __________|_______
    |RIP1,VIP1        |RIP2,VIP2
========         ========
=      =         =lvsnat=
= exim =         = exim =
========         ========
    |_______________|
RIP3,VIP1s       RIP4,VIP2s
    Secondary Network

> Joe

>The original reference to modifying lvs so that localnode is bypassed
>is in

>http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.one_box_lvs.html
>by Horms 2 Sep 2006
>the patch
>http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/files/local_nodes.patch
>This is quite old, and probably won't apply anymore. Should I enquire about it
>on lvs-devel?

Many Thanks

Dino

Dr Dean Scothern
 Infrastructure

 E: dean.scothern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 T: +44 (0)1225 474379
 F: +44 (0)1225 474301
www.eduserv.org.uk
 Eduserv is a company limited by guarantee (registered in England & Wales,
company number: 3763109) and a charity (charity number 1079456), whose
registered office is at Royal Mead, Railway Place, Bath, BA1 1SR.