Re: [lvs-users] IPv6 support in IPVS

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] IPv6 support in IPVS
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 23:30:00 +1100
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 09:39:00AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2012, at 23:53, Simon Horman wrote:
> is there a more recent document than this Wiki page ...
>
> http://kb.linuxvirtualserver.org/wiki/IPv6_load_balancing
>
> ... which documents the IPv6 support in IPVS? I am in particular looking
> for information about the level of IPv6 support in various released
> versions of the Linux kernel.
> IPv6 support was added to IPVS in 2.6.28. Since then there
> have been bug fixes I do not believe that the features have changed
> significantly.
>
> I'm sorry but I'm not sure that I can agree:
> 1.) It seems to me that the sync protocol didn't support IPv6 before 2.6.39.
> 2.) Between 2.6.28 and 3.2 7002 lines have been added and 2821 removed in
> "net/netfilter/ipvs". I'm struggling to believe that there were no
> significant changes.

Hi Matthias,

you are correct that the new synchronisation protocol added
support for the synchronisation of IPv6 connections and that it
was added significantly after IPv6 support was originally added
to IPVS. That had slipped my mind.

My recollection of the changes to IPVS is clearly not without fault.
But I believe that all the changes are recorded in the git changelog.