Re: [lvs-users] DNS LVS questions

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] DNS LVS questions
Cc: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pete Ashdown <pashdown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:29:02 -0600
On 09/26/2012 02:21 AM, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 00:16 -0700, Kelsey Cummings wrote:
>> And, actually, I was looking in the wrong place.  We have persistence
>> turned off.  Sorry!
> I don't believe persistence is the issue here - it's the actual UDP
>
> If Pete's system is hitting an OOM with defaults set, something is very
> wrong. In times past I ran a 3-node active-active-active load balanced
> DNS system which saw query rates an order of magnitude higher than
> Pete's which didn't suffer that problem.
>
> Pete - what system is this (please give as much detail as possible -
> distro, kernel, relevant sysctls and ldirectord config)? It may be that
> this has to be pointed at the -devel list as you're possibly hitting a
> bug.

Ubuntu 12.04.1
linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic     3.2.0-31.50
ipvsadm                          1:1.25.clean-1ubuntu5
ldirectord                       1:3.9.2-5ubuntu4.1
bind-9.9.1-P3 with ratelimit patch

sysctl.conf:
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter=1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=1
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0
net.ipv4.conf.all.secure_redirects = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.send_redirects = 0
net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0

ldirectord.cf:
#
# Sample ldirectord configuration file to configure various virtual services.
#
# Ldirectord will connect to each real server once per second and request
# /index.html. If the data returned by the server does not contain the
# string "Test Message" then the test fails and the real server will be
# taken out of the available pool. The real server will be added back into
# the pool once the test succeeds. If all real servers are removed from the
# pool then localhost:80 is added to the pool as a fallback measure.

# Global Directives
checktimeout=3
checkinterval=1
autoreload=yes
logfile="local0"
quiescent=yes

#configuration for a UDP DNS virtual service.
#Fallback setting overides global
virtual=198.60.22.2:53
    real=127.0.0.1:53 gate 12
    real=198.60.22.75:53 gate 4
    service=dns
    scheduler=wlc
    protocol=udp
    checktype=negotiate
     checkport=53
    request="test4.resolvertest.xmission.com"
    receive="123.231.123.231"

virtual=198.60.22.2:53
    real=127.0.0.1:53 gate 12
    real=198.60.22.75:53 gate 4
    service=dns
    scheduler=wlc
    protocol=tcp
    checktype=negotiate
     checkport=53
    request="test4.resolvertest.xmission.com"
    receive="123.231.123.231"

virtual6=[2607:fa18::1]:53
    real6=[::1]:53 gate 12
    real6=[2607:fa18::c]:53 gate 4
    service=dns
    scheduler=wlc
    protocol=udp
    checktype=negotiate
     checkport=53
    request="test4.resolvertest.xmission.com"
    receive="123.231.123.231"

virtual6=[2607:fa18::1]:53
    real6=[::1]:53 gate 12
    real6=[2607:fa18::c]:53 gate 4
    service=dns
    scheduler=wlc
    protocol=tcp
    checktype=negotiate
     checkport=53
    request="test4.resolvertest.xmission.com"
    receive="123.231.123.231"

#configuration for a UDP DNS virtual service.
#Fallback setting overides global
virtual=198.60.22.22:53
    real=127.0.0.1:53 gate 12
    real=198.60.22.75:53 gate 4
    service=dns
    scheduler=wlc
    protocol=udp
    checktype=negotiate
     checkport=53
    request="test4.resolvertest.xmission.com"
    receive="123.231.123.231"

virtual=198.60.22.22:53
    real=127.0.0.1:53 gate 12
    real=198.60.22.75:53 gate 4
    service=dns
    scheduler=wlc
    protocol=tcp
    checktype=negotiate
     checkport=53
    request="test4.resolvertest.xmission.com"
    receive="123.231.123.231"

virtual6=[2607:fa18::2]:53