Re: [lvs-users] 200K to 400K Http requests per second

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] 200K to 400K Http requests per second
From: lvs@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 19:17:38 +0000 (GMT)
I am doing 500k packets per second in each direction which is in the same
kind of order you are looking for.

I am running this through a Dell r710 with two Intel X520-DA2 NICs, giving
me four 10Gb ports, 2 external and 2 internal. Each pair of ports is
configured in an active-passive bond. I am passing the return traffic
through the load balancer and doing firewalling as well as load balancing.
The r710 has the top CPUs Intel offered at the time (3.3GHz? 6 cores + HT
per socket for 24 core total). I am seeing the businest core at 50% with
this workload so there is more capacity there.

I have some r720s with the top 8 core CPUs (2.9GHz?) which are looking
much better for the job, but I haven't switched the main load in any DC to
an r720 yet so this is based on how they handle 100-200kpps.

In the past I split the firewalling to a box in front of a pure load
balancer (without iptables modules loaded) and I saw the load split evenly
across the two servers, so if you don't need firewalling it should go even
faster. With firewalling I find CPU load drops significanly with IPVS-NFCT
turned on.

Tim