Re: [lvs-users] IPVS SYN-cookies -> IPVS security patch not 3.x kernels

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] IPVS SYN-cookies -> IPVS security patch not 3.x kernels
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Horst Venzke-Fa Remsnet Ltd" <support@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 21:04:10 +0200 (CEST)
   Hello Ivan,

   OK,  i explain my View more.
   I had that Issue allready an at Big Iron  EU customer - they still use 2.6
   Longterm Kernels due that the patch not into 3.x .

   Well with LVS-NAT  the Real-Servers are BEHIND the IPVS at allmost second
   network with route via IPVS ..
   ( up to spec by Standard LVS-NAT Howto´s )

   So the  SNY traffik PASSED the LB servers to real    AND BACK
   The real servers Over-FLOOD the LB (IPVS ) systems with traffik amounts they
   not shuold.
   And exacly for that the 2.6x  SYNPROXY IPVS patch was made years ago.

   In fackt  - SNY Flood Traffik got not generated by Realservers due that
   SYNPROXY by  LB systems using IPVS-NAT
   Modern Comercial  Driven LB´s behave so today( like IBM´s i.e ) .

   Right --- the realservers shuold handel allmost the traffik.
   But for LVS-NAT its an issue  due the traffik AMOUNT passes the Interfaces
   and keeps the LB systems  tooo quickly busy.

   This issue not apply for LVS-DR and LVS-TUN , as the outbound traffik back
   commes directly by REAL servers to the requested client(s).
   And Right , to have an Firewall ( Cluster..)  in front of an Webfarm , are
   allways an Major solution .

   Hope you got me more.

   --
   Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards