Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord question

To: Aaron West <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord question
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:06:36 +0900
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 06:20:02PM +0100, Aaron West wrote:
> Hi Ilo,
>
> To my knowledge a real server failing a health check done by an agent such
> as ldirectord/keepalived is pulled from the LVS table.
>
> This will break any established connections to this server. A new
> connection should then start on a remaining live server on the next
> click/refresh for something like a web application or next connection retry
> for something else.

It is possible, though not necessarily desirable, to avoid breaking
existing connections by using quiescence. On the LVS side this is
implemented by setting a server weight to zero, which allows existing
connections to continue but prevents new connections from being
"scheduled".

This is exposed in ldirectord as a quiescence setting by which
it sets the weight of a real-server to zero rather than removing
it in the case where its health check fails.

I am not familiar with keepalived but I suspect it has a similar feature.