[lvs-users] LVS / SIP/UDP / OpenStack

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS / SIP/UDP / OpenStack
From: Michael Klebanow <michaelkleb123@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 10:02:57 -0400
I want to load balance across multiple SIP / UDP Proxies located inside
OpenStack Guest Instances.

In the non-(OS) Virtualized world, I would use a hardware Load Balancer
using D(S)R to spray across the SIP Proxies.

I did some looking at OpenStack LBaaS, as a one stop shop. As in, one place
to do both route into the Cloud from the outside world and Load Balancing.
Piecing the parts together, it seems that UDP won't be supported until the
LVS plug-in is available, scheduled for the Juno release.

Is there a recommended configuration for such a set-up?  I've been
searching around and haven't seem much. The OpenStack and LVS-Tun reference
I see, is a RackSpace article, which also mentions that all servers need to
be in the same Huddle.

I see some concern with the LVS Director being on a Guest VM and resource
issues - but this was years ago, and on another hypervisor. Would DSR (ARP
issues) or even Tunneling (would tunneling need to be done in Neutron as
well) work from 'real' hardware outside the cloud?  Otherwise, are we
talking Double NAT? That is, NAT through OpenStack and then NAT for LVS.

(The the SIP Persistence Engine is a separate item to deal with.)

Thanks