[lvs-users] LVS & Question on Implementing an Active/Active Load Balance

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS & Question on Implementing an Active/Active Load Balancer
From: Barry Haycock <barryh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 21:47:45 +1100

I am looking to build for a client an Active/Active load balancer supporting
~5000 machines

Previously we have looked at implementing this solution using
pacemaker/corosync/haproxy on RHEL 6.4 but that solution does not support
syslog/514/UDP.

Looking at LVS there is support for UDP as well as maintaining the TCP state
which is the other major requirement.

My question is, since we are only load balancing UDP/TCP rsyslog & HTTPS
(Posting to a single URL), would there be a requirement to install keepalived
ontop of LVS? From my view it appears to add another layer of complexity for no
gain that I can see.

I have been searching for a configuration for an active/active LVS solution and
while there are people stating that they are using it I haven't been able to
find any information on the configuration of a Active/Active load balancer.

--

Barry

Banpen Fugyou - 10,000 Changes, No surprises