Re: [lvs-users] Best Alternative to ldirectord

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Best Alternative to ldirectord
From: Timo Schöler <timo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 11:10:03 +0200
On 08/07/2015 10:54 AM, Patrick Schaaf wrote:
> Am 07.08.2015 10:47 schrieb "Eric Robinson" <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> The thing that confuses me at the moment is the required product mix if I
> use keepalived. Right now I'm using the Corosync+Pacemaker+LVS+lidirectord
> stack. If I switch to keepalived, how much does that replace, and why?

All. keepalived brings its own "cluster" stack (compared to Pacemaker
and friends pretty dumb, but awesome fast). I have both, ldird +
Pacemaker in several verions (even an old, slightly patched 2.1.x
heartbeat that runs extremely solid but screams "don't touch!") as well
as dozens of keepalived setups -- and OpenBSD relayd setups. Depends on
the customer and what is needed.

> From
> reading the keepalived docs (which appear to be a decade old)

The basics remained. But man pages are up to date.

> it would seem
> that keepalived wants to be a do-it-all solution, so I guess I'd have to
> throw away what I know about Corosync and Pacemaker?

Not necessarily, but if you want to replace ldirectord by keepalived,
you won't need it in that place in future.

> And is HAproxy really
> necessary?

Don't think so. keepalived is extremely flexible.

> Are you talking about standalone loadbalancers, or some kind of mixed setup
> on the servers themselves?
>
> For standalone loadbalancers keepalived (with VRRP for IP takeover) is all
> you need, maybe augmented with conntrackd for nonloadbalanced connection
> sync / failover takeup.

Speaking of OpenBSD above, this is where it still seems to be ahead of
Linux. On Linux, a seemless failover is only possible now and then (due
to internal/external cache syncronization), while OpenBSD rocks in this
field. However, it may only be suitable for small/medium setups. As soon
as packets are screaming over the wire, Linux performs way better.

> best regards
>   Patrick

Best,

Timo