[lvs-users] Understanding persistence_granularity for long TCP connectio

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Understanding persistence_granularity for long TCP connections and unexpected spread of traffic at reals
From: Abhijeet Rastogi <abhijeet.1989@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 10:50:47 -0700
Hi everyone,

I'm investigating a typical configuration for an L4 TCP load balancer using
ipvs+keepalived. Settings:-

   - persistence_timeout: 120 seconds.  (# LVS persistence timeout, sec)
   - /sbin/ipvsadm --set 1800 120 300
   - persistence_granularity: "48" for ipv6.
   - lb_algo: rr (round robin)

My expectation is, all the IPs from the same /48 v6 subnet should always
reach the same real_server because of setting granularity.

However, I can see that established connections from the same /48 v6 subnet
are spread across multiple reals. (with timeouts b/w 0 seconds to less than
30 minutes which is a side-affect of setting higher timeout for TCP).

Questions:-

   - After the persistent_timeout expires, do new connections from the same
   /48 subnet get assigned to a new reals based on round-robin regardless of
   whether we've existing connections already going to a specific real from
   that subnet? (And this results in same /48 being distributed to multiple
   reals eventually)
   - Is TCP timeout the reason for the unexpected spread of same /48
   clients to multiple reals (as opposed to the expectation of 1)?
   - If my previous question's answer is yes, should we always set
   persistence_timeout to be higher than the TCP timeout? (because of https
   traffic, session ticket etc)

Thanks in advance!

--
Cheers,