[lvs-users] Performance issues and optimization UDP LVS-NAT

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Performance issues and optimization UDP LVS-NAT
From: Marco Lorig <mlorig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 13:19:47 +0100
Hi,

we are running lvs for couple of years and upgraded last month to 10G
infrastructure.

Now, we ran into some kind of performance issues:

Everything works fine until we reach at througput of 1600-2000Mbit/s and
193.906 pkt/s OUT 117.898 pkt/s IN

Then we run into the following situation:

CPU load average increases up to 22,
CPU Utilization increase up to 60%
Interface counter shows growing paket drops/discards

Setup: lvs-nat with WLC and session-persistence 60s, ubuntu 18.04 LTS,
HW is Dual-Socket 2x  12 core xeon GOLD 6146 @ 3,2GHz with
Hyperthreading enabled,

The loadbalancer is used to balance VPN UDP nat-t connections only (UDP
500/4500)

I found some article about performance issues with ip_conntrack.
On the system nf_conntrack is loaded and (apperntly) used by ip_vs.

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/conntrack is set to 0

It looks like that some kind of table (nf?) reaches limitation.

Any suggestions to improve performance and/or fix this issue=

Thanks a lot.

regards Marco