[lvs-users] Problems using smtp_alert in keepalived

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] Problems using smtp_alert in keepalived
From: "Stephen Roberson" <sroberson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:46:51 -0500 (CDT)
Hello all,

I am a pretty new comer to linux and have been working with keepalived to
set up some high availability load balancers.  I have it currently set up
so a virtual IP address is raised, I can access it, and it seems to work
fine.  The problem I am encountering is the global definitions
notification_email seems to be wrong according to keepalived.  It is as
follows:

Global_defs

{

                Notification_email

                {

                                user@xxxxxxxxxx

}

Notification_email_from systemadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

                Smtp_server www.xxx.yyy.zzz

                Smtp_connect_timeout 30

                Lvs_id LB-MASTER

}

(pardon the automatic capitalizations)

Sometimes I will get an email notifying me

=> VRRP Instance is now owning VRRP VIPs <=

This is the expected email I suppose.

However, the trouble is this does not always work.  When it doesn't work I
will get a messages in the log file, messages, saying:

Remote SMTP server [www.xxx.yyy.zzz] connected

Error processing RCPT cmd on SMTP server [www.xxx.yyy.zzz]. SMTP status
code = 550

Can not read data from remote SMTP server [www.xxx.yyy.zzz]

I am pretty sure now this is because keepalived is trying to make '{' the
recipient of the email.  I am not sure why it is trying to take the curly
bracket as the mail recipient instead of user@xxxxxxxxxx, but I obviously
can't get any emails to go through the mail server if the recipient isn't
valid.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Or anybody know how to fix
this?  This has been a pretty big roadblock for me for the better part of
three days.  Any help will be immensely appreciated.