LVS
lvs-devel

Re: [rfc] IPVS: convert scheduler management to RCU

To: Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [rfc] IPVS: convert scheduler management to RCU
Cc: Changli Gao <xiaosuo@xxxxxxxxx>, Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netfilter-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>, Paul E McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: yao zhao <dragonlinux@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:04:02 -0400
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le vendredi 20 août 2010 à 10:16 -0400, yao zhao a écrit :
>
>> if it is not performance critical, you should use  the
>> read_lock/write_lock, it should make the readers happier than
>> spinlock. the name "mutex" is a little bit confuse.
>
> Yes, I mentioned the 'mutex' name oddity.
>
> Point is :
>
> We want to remove read_write locks. They dont fit the bill.
>
> If performance critical, lot of readers -> RCU (a lot faster)
> If not, or too much writers versus readers -> spinlock (a bit faster)

for writers more than readers of course spin will be better, that is
what read/write lock for and spin for.
But the case here is whether these register_ip_vs_scheduler or
unregister are more frequent than the readers.
if not definitely read_lock will better than spin_lock. although worse than rcu.

>> synchronize_rcu() is not necessary when you only need to delete from a
>> list as it is atomic.
>>

> Thats a rather strange and completely wrong claim. A big part of RCU job
> is to have appropriate work done on deletes. Inserts are more easy (only
> needs a smp_wmb())
>
> Take a look at Documentation/RCU/* before saying such things ;)
>
> Not only synchronize_rcu() is not enough to protect this kind of code,
> but you need something stronger.

The code here is deleting a global from the list, am I right? I didn't
see any called case.
what are you going to do more? free it? write_unlock_bh should make the mb.

yao