LVS
lvs-devel

Re: unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 8

To: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 8
Cc: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hans Schillstrom <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:43:30 +0200
Hello
On Monday, April 18, 2011 08:10:26 Hans Schillstrom wrote:
> On Friday, April 15, 2011 22:11:32 Julian Anastasov wrote:
> >
> >     Hello,
> >
> > On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Hans Schillstrom wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Julian
> > >
> > > I'm trying to fix the cleanup process when a namespace get "killed",
> > > which is a new feature for ipvs. However an old problem appears again
> > >
> > > When there has been traffic trough ipvs where the destination is
> > > unreachable
> > > the usage count on loopback dev increases one for every packet....
[snip]

> > > Do you have an idea why  this happens in the ipvs case ?
> >
> >     Do you see with debug level 3 the "Removing destination"
> > messages. Only real servers can hold dest->dst_cache reference
> > for dev which can be a problem because the real servers are not
> > deleted immediately - on traffic they are moved to trash
> > list.

Actually I forgot to tell there is a need for a
ip_vs_service_cleanup() due to above.
Do you see any drawbacks with it ?

/*
 *      Delete service by {netns} in the service table.
 */
static void ip_vs_service_cleanup(struct net *net)
{
        unsigned hash;
        struct ip_vs_service *svc, *tmp;

        EnterFunction(2);
        /* Check for "full" addressed entries */
        for (hash = 0; hash<IP_VS_SVC_TAB_SIZE; hash++) {
                write_lock_bh(&__ip_vs_svc_lock);
                list_for_each_entry_safe(svc, tmp, &ip_vs_svc_table[hash],
                                         s_list) {
                        if (net_eq(svc->net, net)) {
                                ip_vs_svc_unhash(svc);
                                __ip_vs_del_service(svc);
                        }
                }
                list_for_each_entry_safe(svc, tmp, &ip_vs_svc_fwm_table[hash],
                                         f_list) {
                        if (net_eq(svc->net, net)) {
                                ip_vs_svc_unhash(svc);
                                __ip_vs_del_service(svc);
                        }
                }
                write_unlock_bh(&__ip_vs_svc_lock);
        }
        LeaveFunction(2);
}

Called just after the __ip_vs_control_cleanup_sysctl()

static void __net_exit __ip_vs_control_cleanup(struct net *net)
{
        struct netns_ipvs *ipvs = net_ipvs(net);

        ip_vs_trash_cleanup(net);
        ip_vs_stop_estimator(net, &ipvs->tot_stats);
        __ip_vs_control_cleanup_sysctl(net);
        ip_vs_service_cleanup(net);
        proc_net_remove(net, "ip_vs_stats_percpu");
        proc_net_remove(net, "ip_vs_stats");
        proc_net_remove(net, "ip_vs");
        free_percpu(ipvs->tot_stats.cpustats);
}

> > But ip_vs_trash_cleanup() should remove any left
> > structures. You should check in debug that all servers are
> > deleted. If all real server structures are freed but
> > problem remains we should look more deeply in the
> > dest->dst_cache usage. DR or NAT is used?
>
> I have got some wise words from Eric,
> i.e. moved all ipvs register/unregister from subsys to device
> that solved plenty of my issues
> (Thanks Eric)
>
> I'll will post a Patch later on regarding this.
>

> >     I assume cleanup really happens in this order:
> >
> > ip_vs_cleanup():
> >     nf_unregister_hooks()
>
> This will not happens in a namespace since nf_unregister_hooks() is not per
> netns.
> We might need a flag but I don't think so, further test will show....

> >     ip_vs_conn_cleanup()
> >     ip_vs_control_cleanup()

Regards
Hans