LVS
lvs-devel

Transport support in LVS

To: "lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Transport support in LVS
From: Abhijit Chaudhary <achaudhary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 05:45:03 +0000
Hi,
I am new to LVS and wanted to understand its transport-level support. Am using
RHEL 6.2 (kernel 2.6.32-220) and had couple of questions on it:
Did not find support for SCTP as a LVS transport protocol (no ip_vs_protocol).
But LVS website mentions about SCTP support in ipvsadm-1.26.
Am I missing something, was SCTP supported in older kernel release?

Other question is whether LVS supports load-balancing of IPSEC-packet (for ESP
in transport mode with authentication and encryption enabled).
My understanding:  ip_vs_in() is hooked to NF_INET_LOCAL_IN. But,
ip_local_deliver() calls NF_INET_LOCAL_IN before decryption (esp_input).
So, IPSEC with encryption enabled should not be load-balanced unless there is a
repeat call to ip_local_deliver() after decryption.
My knowledge on xfrm framework and IPSEC is not good, so I may be missing
something.

Thanks,
-Abhijit