LVS
lvs-devel

IPVS Health Checking Best Practices

To: <lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IPVS Health Checking Best Practices
Cc: <dsp@xxxxxx>, kernel-team <Kernel-team@xxxxxx>, <ps@xxxxxx>
From: Alex Gartrell <agartrell@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:26:58 -0700
Hello All,

Today, we run IPVS on a number of hosts. Each of these hosts has a python process responsible for ensuring the health of pool members and then updating their weights as necessary.

We do these health checks via IPVS for two reasons:
1) Different VIPs have different listeners on our real servers, so we can't just use the regular host address
2) We want to ensure that decapsulation is happening appropriately.

The way we do this today is a giant hack. We have a scheduler that we've not (yet) open sourced that does consistent hashing, and someone just wired in a couple additional sysctls that will allow you to do the following:

If a request is from $MAGIC_IP and the source port is >= $MAGIC_PORT, then send it to pool->members[($SRC_PORT - $MAGIC_PORT) % $N].

I'd like to solve this problem more generally.

The other solution I've heard of is using fwmarks, but that kind of sucks from a configuration perspective (because you have to add in all of the persistent vips and everything).

Here are some other ideas:

1) Map the socket itself to a particular pool with a netlink invocation or something

2) Provide a way to bind specific src addr, port tuples to specific destination (though this is a bummer because you have to reserve port space)

But I'm completely open to ideas and I think we're willing to do the work to make this happen.

Thanks,

--
Alex Gartrell <agartrell@xxxxxx>