Re: A page about virtual server via IP tunneling

To: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: A page about virtual server via IP tunneling
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 21:38:09 +0800
At 10:21 98-11-30 -0800, klynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Right now as I understand it when using tunnelling your virtual server
>redirector still handles all incoming packets while outgoing packets are
>returned direct.
>
>Is there any way to make the realserver and the loadbalancer independant..
>as in.. the packet is tunneled to the realserver which initiates the
>connection back to the original requestor and so all data for that session
>both ways flows between the requestor and the realserver..
>
>Did I explain it well enough? do you understand what I mean?

Do you mean that the client first tries to connect to the load-balancer,
then the load-balancer migrates the connection to the real server, finally
the client interact with the real server without the load-balancer?

I think it is not easy to implement it in IPv4, because IP addresses are
static in a connection, then there will be two connections, one is the
connection between the client and the load-balancer, the other is the
connection between the client and the real server, the overhead will be high.

Maybe it can be easy to implement it in IPv6. But, I don't know much about
IPv6, I need time to study it. :-)