Re: Apologies

To: Cliff Miller <cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Apologies
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx, cstaff@xxxxxxx, staff@xxxxxxx, jstaff@xxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:24:45 +0800
Dear Cliff,

You have made it too serious.

When I saw your announcement about TurboLinux Cluster last time, I was just
a little bit unhappy because it seemed that you invented the TurboLinux
Cluster technologies all based on your own ideas and developed the codes
>from scratch.

All that I am mainly concerned is to let us share our codes each other, in
which way we can make the TurboLinux Cluster and the Linux Virtual Server
better together. I love the open source policy and also love what Dennis
Ritchie said:
        It was taken up in the spirit of "let's build something useful"
        and in the meantime do the work needed to help others take part.

I don't think the open source policy of TurboLinux Cluster product (or many
other products) conflicts the profit of your company. If you keep it open,
many others can take part and make it better, in the mean while you can
provide better services and make more money.

Your message gave me a very good answer. I do think we can cooperate the
projects and make them better together.

Since the primary site of Linux Virtual Server Project is on the 128K
leased line network (slow) that I built for a company in my spare time, and
the other mirror site is always out of date, I will be happy if you provide
a fast mirroring site. Since I am now a student, if you are so kind as to
denote some devices in order to support my freeware development, I will be
extremely happy. :-)

Wensong

At 06:44 99-3-13 +0900, Cliff Miller wrote:
>Dear Wensong,
>
>I must apologize to you and the other developers of the Linux Virtual
>Server project for PHT's neglecting to mention the Linux Virtual
>Server project in our press releases and product literature thus
>far. This sloppy oversight on our part came about primarily because of
>tight deadlines and a lack of communication between myself and other
>people within PHT.  It is my responsibility -- please accept my
>sincere apologies.  We will be sure to give credit to the Linux
>Virtual Server work in all of our future press releases and other
>materials.
>
>Here, I would like to describe some technical details of what we have
>done and talk about our open source policy. Turbo Linux Cluster Web
>Server (TL Cluster) consists of three major parts: kernel code,
>management tools, and a turbod daemon.
>
>I believe that we have been collaborating with you and your group for
>a while.  Peter Kese, a regular poster to the virtual server mailing
>list, is a member of our team.  All additions to the code have been
>reported back and are no special proprietary additions to the kernel
>code. We are committed to following the GPL licencing and open source
>model for the kernel code.
>
>The management tools for TL Cluster are used to configure and manage
>the clustering servers and router. They will be open source/GPL,
>following standard Pacific HiTech practice for tools such as our other
>configuration tools for the TurboLinux desktop and system
>administration.
>
>The turbod daemon is responsible for making the router fault-tolerant,
>so the router machine can have stand-by backup machines, which are
>activated if the router machine fails. We are still considering what
>type of license to attach to this code, but will most definitely open
>it up, although perhaps in a slightly delayed manner.  (Ghostscript
>has a license somewhat similar to this.) In any case, the API
>interface to the turbod daemon will be made public upon release of the
>program.
>
>Besides this, I would like to mention that PHT would like to provide
>resources to the Virtual Server Project group if there is a need.
>We could host a site, provide mirroring, perhaps offer some test-bed,
>and other things.  Please let me know.
>
>Finally, please take this email as an attempt to correct our mistake
>and to make our relationship better. I really hope that we can do some
>things together and that PHT will be able to offer something to the
>project that you have started.
>
>Cliff

>Cliff Miller
>Pacific HiTech, Home of TurboLinux
>cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>[Craig would you please have Justin put the following passage up on
>our web site ASAP.
>
>Kazuhiro$B!"2<5-$NJ8=q$rLu$7$F!"(Bwww.pht.co.jp$B$N(BTurboLinux
Cluster Web