Re: The new HOWTO confused me...VS-TUN, 2.2.x and the ARP problem

To: Nick Christopher <nwc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The new HOWTO confused me...VS-TUN, 2.2.x and the ARP problem
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 06:22:50 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Nick Christopher wrote:

> 60 pages ... more of a novel then a HOWTO!
>
> Okay so I am confused on the ARP problem....
>
> My setup:
>     All machines, director and realservers have 2.2.13 kernels.
>     I am using VS-TUN on the director.
>     All machines on the same segment.
>     All machines have a single NIC.
>
> My question:
>     How, *concisely*, do I *most simply* avoid the ARP problem?

from where you are

1. guaranteed to work

put the arp patch on the realservers and recompile the kernel

2. possibly works (it either does or doesn't and I didn't write the result
down)

   use the dummy0 device instead of the tunl0 device on the realservers

> My Observations to date:
> BH (Before HOWTO) I had ipvs patched kernels on the realservers and was
> using device tunl0 (which ifconfig said was NOARP) and that seemed to
> work.  And the arp -a said the right thing but....
>
> AH (After HOWTO) I tried device dummy0 rather than tunl0 on same boxes
> and everything again seemed to work.
>
> AH I tried device dummy0 on a 2.2.13 box without the ipvs patch and it
> just plain didn't answer...though I'm not sure ip tunneling is on in
> that kernel.

you need to check that tunneling is on first

Joe

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx