Re: Wouldn't it be great?

To: Patrick Kormann <pkormann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wouldn't it be great?
Cc: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Sparks <zathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:36:23 +0000 (GMT)
Patrick,

My tuppence worth...

Personally I think monitoring of systems is probably one of the things the
lvs system shouldn't really get into in it's current form. My rationale
for this is that it's effectively a fancy packet forwarder, and in that
job it excels.

For the LVS code to do more than this, it would require for TCP services
the ability to attempt to connect to the *service* the kernel is load
balancing - which would be a horrible thing for a kernel module to do. For
UDP services it would need to do more than pinging...  However, in neither
case would you have a convincing method for determining if the *services*
on those machines was still running effectively, unless you put a large
amouunt of protocol knowledge into the kernel. As a result, you would
still need to have external monitoring systems to find out whether the
services really are working or not.

For example, in the pathological case (of many that we've seen :-) of a
SCSI subsystem failure resulting in indestructable inodes on a cache box,
a cache box can reach total saturation in terms of CPU usage, but still
respond correctly to pings and TCP connections. However nothing else (or
nothing much) happens due to the effective system lockup. The only way
round such a problem is to have a monitoring system that knows about this
sort of failure, and can then take the service out.

There's no way this sort of failure could be anticipated by anyone, so
putting this sort of monitoring into the kernel would create a false
illusion of security - you'd still need an auxillary monitoring system.
Eg - it's not just enough for the kernel to mark the machine out of
service - you need some useful way of telling people what's gone wrong (eg
setting off people's pager's etc), and again, that's not a kernel thing.

All just my tuppence worth of course :-)

Michael.
--
National & Local Web Cache Support        R: G117
Manchester Computing                      T: 0161 275 7195