Re: [lvs-users] Could we put [lvs-users] right at the start?

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Could we put [lvs-users] right at the start?
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:04:46 +0100
On 2000-01-19T15:21:47,
   "Peter Koch" <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> In the mailing lists I subscribe to, they normally put the prefix right
> at the start of the subject. so that even the re: follows it, eg:

The mailing list software can't do that. It already does a best effort at
this, it tries quite hard to surpress multiple entries. (Leading to cascaded
Re:'s since the MUA doesn't ignore the [lvs-users] prefix when replying and
thus doesn't merge the "Re:"s)

It does open a can of worms to have the mailing list software mess with the
subject header.

I told you it wasn't going to be nice ;)

Anyone opposed if I turn it off again?

(BTW, threading shouldn't be affected by the subject - "mutt", for example,
threads by the "In-Reply-To" header, which is much more robust)

> Also, another suggestion, is it possible to make the TO field the
> list email address so that we can reply to an email directly to the
> list.

I can mess with the Reply-To header, but that will lead to all replies
intended to be private to end up on the list too.

A proper MUA like mutt supports a "list reply" function to reply directly to
the list, or a "g" reply to reply to all parties and then just strip off the
ones you don't want to send to...

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée

--