[lvs-users] VS-DR Working on FreeBSD

To: Linux Virtual Servers Mailling List <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] VS-DR Working on FreeBSD
From: Michael Sparks <zathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:28:36 +0000 (GMT)
Hi,

Just a note to say that I revisited trying to get VS-DR working today, and
dug out the note Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx> (Roberto Nibali) posted to the list
some time ago:

> Something about FreeBSD(concerning Michael):
> I don't know what exactly your problem is, but for me the following
> setup worked perfectly:
>
> ifconfig lo0 alias VIP netmask 0xffffffff up -arp
>
> Beware: This also sets the root (logical) loopback into noarp mode! But
> it worked for me with LVS-DR v.0.9.2 & FreeBSD 3.2, 3.3 (I made a
> mistake, I didn't test FreeBSD 3.1).

When I'd been trying it last time, I knew I'd probably missed something
very simple and stupid and I had.

And realised this time what I had done wrong - I'd rather stupidly
forgotten to switch IP forwarding on on the director. (Since we're using
tunneling for the other servers this hadn't affected the Linux boxes...)

In case it's of use to anyone else, to use FreeBSD boxen as real servers:

On the director:

Configure as normal - eg:
ifconfig $ETHER_DEV $VIP netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast $VIP up
route add -host $VIP dev eth0:0

*Remember* to switch on IP forwarding:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Add the real server in:
ipvsadm -a -t $VIP -r $FREEBSDBOXIP -g

On $FREEBSDBOXIP,
ifconfig lo0 alias $VIP netmask 0xffffffff up -arp

And as Ratz said, this works absolutely perfectly - many thanks :-)))

Tested on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE & 2.2.5-STABLE.

Michael.
--
National & Local Web Cache Support        R: G117
Manchester Computing                      T: 0161 275 7195