Re: [lvs-users] LVS-DR generates TONS of icmp unreachables

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-DR generates TONS of icmp unreachables
Cc: Jivko Velev <jiko@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jerry Glomph Black <black@xxxxxxxx>, Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:50:38 +0800
Joseph Mack wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Jivko Velev wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > When i read the doc i didnt find the answer about how ICMP packet are
> > redirected from VIP to Real Severs.
>
> What you have described is part of a larger problem with the design of
> LVS. Anything that is initiated on a realserver and which requires a
> response from the client will most likely fail as the wrong realserver
> will (usually) get the response.
>
> Already people have fallen over this problem with identd, indexing
> programs and MTU discovery (see the HOWTO, sect 14.10). I've added your
> comments there into the next version of the HOWTO.

No, it is not right. The director handles ICMP packets for virtual
services long time ago, please check the ChangeLog of the code.

As for VS/TUN or VS/DR, the director handles ICMP packets in the
client-to-server half connection. If the real servers generate ICMP
packets and want to send it to the client, they can send the ICMP
packets to the clients directly, there is no need for the director to
interference it.

Wensong