Re: [lvs-users] What if the real server want to access the virtual serve

To: Robert Kavaler <kavaler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] What if the real server want to access the virtual server?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Craig Sanders <cas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:15:19 +1100
On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 10:52:51PM -0800, Robert Kavaler wrote:
> I have an application where the real servers need to ask for services
> from the virtual server in DIRECT ROUTING mode. Since the real server
> has the virtual server's IP on its loop-back interface all outgoing
> packets are immediately directed back to the originating real server
> and never make it to the virual server. Is there some way to tell
> Linux to force all packets for a lLOCAL IP address out a specific
> interface?

you could give the director another IP address (e.g. an ip_alias) and
make sure that the realservers don't use their VIP address when talking
to it.

you could do this by using a private network, say 192.168.x.x, for
direct communications between the realservers and the director.

e.g. set it up so that the machines have the following aliases:

director - 192.168.1.1
real server 1 - 192.168.1.2
real server 2 - 192.168.1.3
real server 3 - 192.168.1.4