Testing VS-NAT with director on a laptop?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Testing VS-NAT with director on a laptop?
From: Franck GUILLOIS <fguillois@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 12:25:41 +0200
Hi LVS-ers!

I've just wasted my week-end configuring LVS-NAT for testing purposes. I
decided to make my laptop the director. I used another machine to serve
http and another laptop was the client.

Until a few minutes ago, I didn't manage to get the LVS working
correctly on this system. But before giving up, I decided to move the
director on the realserver machine and change my laptop from director to
realserver. After recompiling my kernel 2.2.14 with ipvs-0.9.10, adding
ipchains rules and services to ipvs, I realized that it was working
perfectly.

My only problem is that I'd like to understand what was the problem!!

In order to make a good parallel between my non-working director laptop
and my new director, I took the laptop .config from my /usr/src/linux
directory and recompiled my kernel again with this config.
It works fine on the new director, but not on the laptop. The 2 machines
run both RH 6.1 with Linux 2.2.14. As far as i know, i believe that
installed packages are strictly the same, for the base system at least.

The only big difference I notice is the NIC, which is PCMCIA on my
laptop and PCI standard NE2000 on the new director (which is not a
laptop, do you still follow ? ;-)). I'm running the pcmcia-cs-3.1.14
package i got from sourceforge.org, the PC Card is a DLINK DFE 660 100Mb
and it's working fine for all-day stuff.

So... my conclusion is:

Don't try to make a laptop your LVS director!!!!!!!

Franck

PS: Strange isn't it ? Anyone experienced this problem ?
Sorry if my english is not so good... I'm french