Re: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:01:55 +0200
Joseph Mack wrote:

> Ratz wrote:
>
> > I think I should compile the IP_VS_SVC_TAB_BITS with
> > a smaller value, f.e to 12 instead of 17, because I've only
> > got 64Mbytes in my machine :)
> >
> > If this was the reason, I apologize to everybody for this
> > postings.
>
> please don't apologize. If this is a problem and you have found the
> cause, then it can be easily fixed.
>
> Joe
>
> --
> Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, Lockheed Martin
> contractor to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
> mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA

Hi Joseph,

I just thought, that some readers here are not extremely interested
in a kernel oops dump rather then in a solution for a problem like
this. So I could have made deeper investigations before addressing
a latent problem to the public.
Ok, actually, it seems that setting the value of IP_VS_SVC_TAB_BITS
to a reasonable value fixes the problem, no oops since 2 hours. I'll
have a look at this the next couple of days to see if I can reproduce
the problem.

SUMMARY
-------

As far as I investigated the kernel seems to fault and print oops
messages if ( 2**IP_VS_SVC_TAB_BITS > amount_of_memory [in KBytes] )

SOLUTION:

Choose a value for IP_VS_SVC_TAB_BITS where:
2**IP_VS_SVC_TAB_BITS < amount_of_memory [in KBytes]

TELL-TALE

This problem is not approved nor really deep investigated. It is
just in case you'd encounter such strange kernel oops, then this
could be the solution to your problem.