Re: problems with ldirectord+heartbeat high availability farm

To: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: problems with ldirectord+heartbeat high availability farm
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jacob.rief@xxxxxx
From: Donald Ball <balld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:30:57 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Horms wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 11:14:14PM -0400, Donald Ball wrote:

> > Hiya. I'm trying to get a high availability cluster working as described
> > in http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/HighAvailability.html using the
> > ldirectord+heartbeat option. It works great for a single virtual ip
> > address, but I want to provide load balancing and failover services for
> > one than one virtual ip address. I'm having difficulty figuring out what
> > the best route to follow when scaling would be. This configuration does
> > not work (where 192.168.1.x is the faked network and 10.0.0.0 is the
> > internal network)
> >
> > /etc/ha.d/conf/www:
> >
> > timeout = 10
> > checkinterval = 10
> > virtual = 192.168.1.1:80
> >     service = http
> >     protocol = tcp
> >     scheduler = rr
> >     request = "/testpage.txt"
> >     receive = "test page"
> >     real = 10.0.0.1:80 gate 5
> >     real = 10.0.0.2:80 gate 5
>
> Try inserting a blank line here
>
> > virtual = 192.168.1.2:80
> >     service = http
> >     protocol = tcp
> >     scheduler = rr
> >     request = "/testpage.txt"
> >     receive = "test page"
> >     real = 10.0.0.1:80 gate 5
> >     real = 10.0.0.2:80 gate 5

God, if only all problems' solutions were that simple. Thanks, I must have
missed that part of the documentation. Hopefully my next question will be
as simple - I want the request that's issued to check for life on the real
server to be sent to a specific virtual host (both name based and address
basede). It's not enough to know that apache itself is alive, I'd like to
check to ensure that various dynamic page generators installed on the
various virtual hosts are actually functioning (servlets, cgi,
whathaveyou). Does ldirectord have any support for that or do I get to
start messing with the perl code myself now?

- donald