Re: Pulse problems

To: "David D.W. Downey" <qixo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Pulse problems
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, copeland@xxxxxxxxxx
From: Keith Barrett <kbarrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:02:04 -0400
"David D.W. Downey" wrote:

> OK, so going on that surmise, my question becomes one of why is pulse
> trying to assign the IPs when I already have the IPs up and running?

Without a copy of your config file, it's difficult to understand all of your
situation. BUT pulse DOES create all the Virtual Addresses defined. This
includes the NAT router, and all your virtual services. These should not
be predefined.

> Now, I also have lvs.cf set up to rr over ssh (using openssh) to a web
> server farm. I have ipchains configured and ipvsadm configured correctly.

How are you verifying this? Does a telnet from a client PC to the
VIP address land you on a real server for example?

> I tried ifconfig ethXX down all the interfaces and then run
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/pulse start but it dies with the same message as before
> (the SIOCGIFADDR).

Hummm. Without sample ifconfig output and a config file, it's hard to know
what your problem is. Can't you create a test environment with different
IP addresses>

> This has become a MAJOR!!! concern now because I MUST have this up and
> running correctly by no later than June 29th as I am leaving for North
> Carolina and the company NEEDS to have this running BEFORE I can go.

I don't know if this will help, but instead of using the scripts to
start pulse, do the following on a virtual console:

    1. Start a "tail -f /var/log/messages &" command do the log file
       output will appear.

    2. type "pulse -n -v" to start pulse in verbose debug mode.

    3. Examine the trace and see if it helps.

Also, since you will be in NC. Will you be in the Raleigh area?
Red Hat (and the HA team) are all located there. You could bring
a floppy of your config file here and we might be able to look at it
without posting to a public list.

--

Keith