Modify IPVS code

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Modify IPVS code
From: Thomas Proell <Thomas.Proell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:37:00 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi!

Up to now, IPVS accepts packets which are adressed to the VIP,
for example 192.168.10.110. Packets with this destination were
sent to the (real) servers that are attached to the Virtual Server.

I want to change a few things here. The LVS shouldn't be a virtual
server any more, but a director that distributes traffic between
Proxy caches.

For this, I have to change several things. First, the LVS has to
accept packets, that are not for him, for example for cnn.com
or for 192.168.10.111 or for 1.2.3.4.
Then, it has to send them not to servers any more, but to
transparent proxies.

Now, I have a few questions to that:

- Are there any other obvious problems? Is it that easy?
- To make LVS accept packets that are not for him, there
  are several possibilities:

  # promisc mode
  # hacking the device driver
  # calling "ip_vs_forward" in "net_bh" that is in "dev.c"

  I'd prefer the last possibility for some irrational reasons.

  What do you think? Are there any problems doing that?
  What would you suggest? Are there other possibilities?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thomas