Re: Load balancing of two or more NIC's

To: Thomas Proell <Thomas.Proell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Load balancing of two or more NIC's
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:44:43 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Thomas Proell wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > Can I use LVS to enable Load balancing of two or more NIC's on the same
> > > computer (for example achieve 20Mps with two 10Mps NIC's on an ftp
> > > transfer)
> > > or is LVS only for clustering and directors?
> >
> > The new 2.4 kernel supports binding >1 ethernet interfaces into one
> > virtual circuit.  If your switch supports it (I think cisco switches do)
> > then you can do that.
>
> Hmm. I think I don't get the point right now. Isn't it possible
> to have 2 incoming and 2 outgoing NIC (total 4 NIC)? The desicion
> what is sent where should be done by the layers under IP, right?

You can bind two 100 MB NIC with the same MAC address/IP address and in
essence have a 200 MB NIC to the network.  Cisco does this with
'EtherChannel' and their 3500 series switchs support it.  I'm not sure if
the linux 2.4 version is compatible though.  You can also load balance the
IP's with a LVS type layer load balancer but you can't get one session 200
MB unless they open up two different sockets.  IMHO it is better to have
the binding at layer 2 instead of layer 3 or 4

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com